Thursday 22nd August, 2013

We're now at the tail end of a very long UK tour - one that's been physically, mentally and emotionally exhausting - and I am totally spent, hence the reason for a lack of blog entries in recent weeks. I can barely muster the energy to leave my hotel room at the moment let alone find something interesting to write about at the end of the day. I am in awe of how the players are still getting up each day - their competitive spirit roaring to the death.

Of the seven remaining wives and girlfriends still on tour, only three have partners who are playing in the final Test match. Having watched so much cricket in recent weeks I find it incredible that the majority of my tour buddies still have the motivation to continue to go to the ground every single day. Whilst I'm hoping to go along for the last couple of days at The Oval, my sister Nicole is now on her way back to Australia and I can only attend when there is a creche facility for Romy. I owe Nicole a lot - without her here helping me for the last month it simply wouldn't have been possible for me to continue on this highly unusual, gypsy-like journey. Six months on the road, mostly as a single-parent has taken it's toll on numerous occasions and I'm well-past being ready to go home.

There are a couple of other girls in our group who are married and will no doubt soon be considering starting families themselves. I have found myself wondering in recent weeks whether or not their observations of how I've struggled, touring with a 9-12 month old baby for such a long period of time may or may not influence their decisions to travel with or without infants in the coming years. In the very least, I hope they've picked up some ideas on what to do and what NOT to do along the way.

Another girlfriend whose husband also plays in the Australian one-day team recently emailed me asking for 'tips and advice on how to travel with an infant'. Upon asking some of my current tour friends how they thought I should respond, Cherie remarked "my tip would be, DO NOT GET ON THE PLANE!". Touché. If only I had consulted my crystal ball six, twelve and eighteen months ago I may (read: most definitely would!) have planned this whole trip very differently.

Looking back at previous tours when I was childless, I always thought the ladies like Rianna Ponting, Karina Haddin and Amy Hussey made it look SO EASY taking their little people on tour. And they all have MULTIPLE children! I now wonder, did they face the same struggles? Was I just oblivious at the time to what they were going through? Why didn't I inherit their super-powers for this trip.. and most especially: why the heck didn't I seek advice from them BEFORE coming on this tour?

I'd like to think that given another opportunity I'd do things very differently. Admittedly it would be much easier on an Australian-based tour where we have family and friends in every different city, where one is familiar with things like the locality of 24 hour medical centres, supermarket brands and products.. and even just to be able to flit home for a few days when things get too much. But despite the intensity of it all, the highs, the lows and the constant bouts of illness I'm currently battling, I wouldn't give it back for anything. It's been the trip of a lifetime and one we will always look back upon with great memories.

Capturing memories with my tour buddies at the Lord's Test